Thursday 30 December 2010

Distinctly Average

This post has actually come from a comment on a VlogBrothers YouTube video, by musicfreak101, a person I've never met, I'm more than likely never to even see a comment of theirs ever again, but that person has genuinely made me have a little think about where I want to be down the line. After University. In my first proper job. With a family.

The comment goes like this:

I would just like to say that that video made me tear up a bit, because I am yet to discover what it is to be an adult and that I did not realize that I want to grow up fast and, that one day I will not be able to relive some experiences like the tube thing that you were in with Henry, I will not be able to play in one of those until I myself have a kid. Thank you John for this video, because it has woken me up to reality.

I couldn't agree more. I've always wanted to be a Father, I've known that for years now, to use a cliché, I think it's my main purpose. I'm distinctly average at everything I do. I'm good with computers, but I still find new things to do. I'm good at gaming, but put me along side an experienced one, I'm useless. I'm good at French, but I know there are a million people better in my class than me at it. I've always had average grades, I've never particularly excelled at anything at all naturally. You get those people that are just naturally brilliant at something. Snefru7 is naturally brilliant at playing guitar, it's like he was born to do it. I haven't discovered what I'm a natural at, maybe I never will. French took a lot of work to get to the stage I'm at now, and even at University, with people around me at a similar level to me, some better, some worse, it's fact. I'm not particularly good at football, but I'm not completely inept at playing it. I could be distinctly average at being a father, I may never even get to experiencing what that is. But if I do, some day, succeed in becoming a father, then all those thoughts about being distinctly average will be forgotten. As long as I get a baby boy or a baby girl, I'll feel like the best person in the world. I could still remain distinctly average at being a Father, but I wouldn't care to notice.

It's wonderful how a few simple sentences in the comments section in one of the millions of videos on the Internet could have such an affect. What's even more brilliant is that that comment could have only been noticed by me. Musicfreak101 could well be the person that changed my outlook on life, and indeed changed my entire plan for the rest of my being. I've given myself numerous goals in my life time. Get good grades in my GCSEs - completed. Get into University - completed. The next is to survive University all the way through. After that, getting a job and staying who I am are all tasks that have to be done. I don't intend on ever changing. A fourth goal is to have a happy family. If I do that, then I will die a happy man.

Rhys Llwyd Bowen Jones. Distinctly average in every single way.

No comments: