Tuesday 27 July 2010

The little things.

I don't plan on making this a particularly long post, but I think all my imaginary readers ought to know something that I only just realised a matter of minutes ago. The fact that the title of my entire blog is actually 100% correct.

Originally, I saw this entity on the Internet as simply another way to waste many hours staring at a light bulb, similar to what I do anyway, day in, day out. I do, obviously, get bored when I stare at said light bulb, and when I did get bored, I could make up some drivel that I'd had a sudden idea to write about in this blog I have. But, to tell you the truth, half the time I genuinely have no idea what I'm talking about. I ramble and ramble and ramble about anything and everything that comes into my head, literally no meaning behind the posts (apart from a select few, such as my xenophobia rant and, more recently, my World Cup one). I would just fill you all in on meaningless details of my life, how school's going, what I did in the last few months, that sort of thing. In short, I took this whole process of writing paragraph after paragraph for someone to read for granted.

However, I had a conversation with another homo-sapien very recently (their name shall remain confidential until said being allows me to say so) who wants to start writing a blog. This person claimed that they felt that they had nothing to write about whatsoever, leading me to the realisation that, simply, neither do I. And yet, somehow, I manage to squeeze varying lengths of ramblings out of what I thought was a mind devoid of any real creative imagination. The stories I wrote for school in English and Welsh were always a total disappointment, they had a poor ending, zero creativity when it comes to places, names etc. A particular memory of a story is one that I wrote set in the middle ages where my main character was a man named Sir Arjen, after Arjen Robben the former Chelsea player. The second of my characters, King Saloman is a current Chelsea player. It was only afterwards I realised of the repercussions of my King Saloman character. Do you see what I mean? I had to think of two characters, and neither of which were particularly original because of their football references. The fast and furious thoughts that have raced through my mind in the last 10 or so minutes have got my mind thinking.

I may or may not have told you that I have a novel planned. Actually, I don't think I did tell you. I'm thinking of writing a novel. There we go, I did tell you. I've tried to start writing this novel, I think I wrote about 2 pages before I forgot about it totally. I had 2 or 3 stories milling around in my brain, and when I wrote it, I didn't have any structure whatsoever. Evidently, I was under the impression that J.K. Rowling simply sneezed out all 7 Harry Potter books. I was totally wrong. Having read Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows recently, I realised how much thought has to go into writing a novel. You have to think up every link between every character, how they met, what sort of relationship they have. You have to think up a solid setting, a place, real or imaginary, if it's imaginary then you've made your book writing life harder ten fold.

Don't you see, before this conversation (I'd like to point out that it was a very short conversation) I thought I couldn't write at all. I probably still can't, but the fact is, it's like I've had a new wave of creative ability. Just thinking about my novel when writing this paragraph, I already have a new storyline in my head that sounds to me far better than my previous attempts. It's these little things, like this blog, that make you appreciate living in a modern age where the Internet is your portkey, to use a Harry Potter phrase, to go wherever you want. This is such a cliché part of my blog, and I'm sorry for that, but it's weird. I suddenly feel as if I can write at a half decent level!

It's the little things in life.

I went completely off track with what I meant to talk about at the start. So I'll put it in here - I really do love my blog. It gets my creativity flowing, cliché again, but it really does. I've never written as much as I have in this blog in my life before. Add to the fact that a handful of people actually read it, it's a success in my eyes. Plus, something that the homo-sapien I can't name (I'll call them You-Know-Who from now on, to steal another Harry Potter phrase) said that You-Know-Who thought that if You-Know-Who had, I quote, "like, 12 people following, [they'd] feel good." For me, it's not about that. I love what I'm doing with this blog, I use it to vent my frustrations, to shout my happiness to the world. On a side note, this is by far the cheesiest thing I've ever written, but I don't care. This post has made me feel all happy.

I'll try and write a fair bit over the next few weeks, reader, as I have a lot of free time on my hands. You have been warned, an onslaught of posts is coming to a light bulb near you.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Hey, I did some awful stories in school. I remember doing one about an MSN conversation. It was shite. And the gothic story we were supposed to do for GCSE. Made it about portals in the old school. How original am I, eh? Hehe.

And dude, just letting you know, you can see your stats for your blog if you go on Blogger In Draft. It's draft.blogger.com and it adds a new Stats link so you can see who's viewing from where and how. It's pretty nifty... found out that Americans have viewed my blog more than any other country. That's pretty odd, if you ask me... =].

Oh, and the You've just had the imponderable joy of reading RuhBuhJuh thing at the end... nice touch, butt. =].

Sorry for the mini-blog in your blog. =].