Tuesday 3 August 2010

I'm a fire and I burn tonight

Oh yes, I used a Biffy Clyro lyric as a title, that has no relevance to what I want to talk about.

I just want to fill you all in on something, and I have a query that I'll ask at the end. As you may or may not be aware, my vlogging career has finally started (which doesn't mean I'll be leaving blogger!). If you don't know, there is a link right above this post, in the red bar, if you just click the one that says "YouTube" then you'll be beamed directly via UFO to my YouTube channel, where you'll see I have three vlogs, if you will.

Now, you may recognise the title of one of them - the Film Reviews one. Yes, I've, kind of, converted my hugely successful (ahem) film reviews blog to video form (which doesn't mean I'll be stopping those on blogger either!). I went away for the weekend, and when I returned, I had numerous e-mails from YouTube, mainly a discussion with CrazyDistortion about video editing, one about a comment I had on my Toy Story review and 2, yes, 2 comments on my Inception review, and finally one from someone called "everydayadventuring" (yes, they have no capitals in their YouTube name, an annoyance if ever there was one), I'll copy what they said to me:

"hi RuhBuhJuh1
I just watched your vlog, I really love it! How did you get so good at making them? Can you take a look at my vid and give me some pointers? Please subscribe if you enjoy it :D"

You can take that two ways. The optimist in me sees that as someone random has actually stumbled across my channel, watched my videos and enjoyed them. Or, the pessimist in me sees that this is just a bit of spam sent by YouTube to improve my moral as my Inception video had a meagre 39 views - and that's my highest. Personally, I see it as spam, but nevertheless, I shall believe that this message is in fact a real person and I shall make a video giving a few pointers from vlogger extraordinaire, RuhBuhJuh1. Yes, there is a 1 there because I fucked up signing up to YouTube under my new pseudonym. Don't take it seriously, I won't call myself RuhBuhJuh1 unless I want to prove a point of some sort. What the point will be, however, I have no idea. We'll see where the wind takes us. 


To end, I have a query. Undoubtedly, I will scour the googleness of the Internet in order to find my answer, but to make my post a bit lengthier, I'll ask you on here too. You know Typewriters (Interesting fact: Typewriter is the longest word you can type by only using the top line of letters on a QWERTY keyboard. Did you know that? Didn't think so.)? Can anyone tell me how they work? As far as I can tell, it's magic. You're there, typing away at this magical machinery, and your piece of paper gradually moves to the left as you type more and more words, until you feel necessary to hit it back and it shoots across the typewriter, makes a bing noise, and the whole writing a line of letters (or symbols, as Snefru happily (did you see what I did there?) calls them) starts again. So, let's say you have one letter left to fit on the page before you need to ping it back, meaning your piece of paper is almost as far to the communist side of the spectrum as it can go, but the last letter on that line you want to type is the letter "P." How does that work? I was under the illusion that there were 3 rows of stamps, if you will, that put the letters on the page. Surely the P would be too far away to be placed on the page? Is there some rule that by the time you turn the page into an extreme communist, you can only use words on the left side of the keyboard, like "sad" for example? There is no reason why I chose sad there, I just saw it as the first word I could use on the left side of the keyboard. Or, a solution I thought up while writing this paragraph, are there wires leading from each key to its corressponding stamp? That sounds quite logical. Answers on a postcard, if you please.


To be fair, that was a very YouTube dominated post. I might aswell make one more YouTube reference, watch this video from a person called hexachordal (there's that lack of capital letters again! Although, I like this guy, so I'll let it slide), a YouTube vlogger who makes weird and wonderful videos. This is my pick of the bunch.





The first 40 seconds is all you need to watch, really, but you may watch the rest. It's very bizarre humour, but he is highly amusing. Side note, watch the video "Explorers Four" and try and make some sense of it. I understand it now, but it took me hundreds of viewings to fully comprehend the complexity the video beholds.


Over and out.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Oh dude. Did you look at the two video editing programs I sent you? Any joy?