Wednesday 18 August 2010

A complaint.

This isn't going to be a very long one, and sadly this might offend some people, don't read if you get offended easily. It's a short query about Talent shows.

We all know the score. To do well in a talent show (let's just say a singing competition) you not only have to have a good enough singing voice, but you also have to have a pathetic sob story to go along with it. You know the one - "I lost my goldfish in a terrible toilet-flushing accident, so I'm competing today in memory of old Fishy." The public get influenced (see, there's my link to my musical blog!) by these sob stories, the judges get influenced by these sob stories which leads to, what I hate the most, not very good singers, getting far because they feel sorry for them. It's ridiculous.

The reason for my mini-rant of a blog is this one. While sitting in my living room, my Mother turned on one of the many America's Got Talent episodes she missed while she was on holiday. One of the contestants on this show was an opera singer. Fair play to her, she had a good voice, she wasn't amazing, she wasn't terrible. But, my little brother made a comment as simple as this - "Boring." Because, let's be honest, not that many 12 year olds take a massive interest in opera nowadays, and he was just stating he isn't a fan of her singing, because he couldn't sit there for 30 minutes or even an hour, just watching her sing in concert. He's one of the many youngsters in today's society that gets influenced by others around him, listening to the Jason Derulo/Ne-Yo/Chris Brown/Justin Bieber love children that are out these days. My Mother's retort to his one word statement about the opera singer? "But she had cancer!" That's exactly my point. Yes, she had cancer, but that doesn't mean that one suddenly has to like whatever she's doing. If someone went on this America's Got Talent program, killed cats on stage but because they had cancer, the public would vote for them. It's bizarre why the public think like that.

Potentially the most offensive post on my blog, but it really pissed me off. Sorry about that.

No comments: